Support for a Healthy Intestinal Flora Balance*
60 servings per container
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Saccharomyces boulardii - SocialVite
Suggested Use: Take one capsule twice daily as a dietary supplement, or as directed by your healthcare practitioner.
Caution: If pregnant, nursing, or taking any medication, please consult your healthcare practitioner before taking any supplement. Keep out of reach of children.
Storage: Keep tightly closed in a cool, dry place.
Saccharomyces boulardii is a non-pathogenic yeast species that has been used as a probiotic supplement to support digestive health. Here are some key points about Saccharomyces boulardii:
- Origins: Saccharomyces boulardii was first isolated from lychee and mangosteen fruit in the 1920s by a French scientist named Henri Boulard. It is a strain of yeast closely related to Saccharomyces cerevisiae, commonly known as baker's yeast or brewer's yeast.
- Probiotic Properties: Saccharomyces boulardii is classified as a probiotic because it has been shown to confer health benefits when consumed. Unlike most probiotics, which are bacterial strains, Saccharomyces boulardii is a yeast. It is resistant to gastric acidity and bile salts, allowing it to survive passage through the stomach and reach the intestines intact, where it can exert its beneficial effects.
- Gastrointestinal Support: Saccharomyces boulardii has been extensively studied for its ability to support gastrointestinal health. It helps maintain a healthy balance of gut microbiota by competing with pathogenic bacteria for nutrients and adhesion sites in the intestines. Saccharomyces boulardii also produces compounds that inhibit the growth and activity of harmful bacteria and toxins.
- Antimicrobial Activity: Saccharomyces boulardii has been shown to have broad-spectrum antimicrobial activity against various pathogens, including Clostridium difficile (C. difficile), Escherichia coli (E. coli), and Salmonella species. It can help prevent and treat diarrhea caused by infections or antibiotic use by suppressing the growth of pathogenic bacteria and restoring microbial balance in the gut.
- Anti-inflammatory Effects: Saccharomyces boulardii exhibits anti-inflammatory properties, which can help reduce inflammation in the gastrointestinal tract. It modulates immune responses and cytokine production, helping to alleviate symptoms of inflammatory bowel diseases such as Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis.
- Other Health Benefits: In addition to its gastrointestinal benefits, Saccharomyces boulardii has been studied for its potential therapeutic effects may gastrointestinal conditions.